Dj PODGY in AfterDark House hosted by kLEMENZ
Written by klemenz on August 28, 2019
WEDNESDAY 28/8/2019 :
20:00 GMT London (UK)
21:00 CET Rome, Paris
15:00 EST New York
This week we are commemorating and celebrating Podgy´s 20th anniversary of DJ-ing with his simply said »AMAZING« VINYL ONLY guest mix!! In all these years he tries to stay true to himself and spin music that he likes … and it’s a vocal house and he won`t left u unsatisfied this time, believe me!!
He first became acquainted with DJ-ing in 1999 when he joined the “Party House” DJ`s group, which used to play commercial dance music at the time in various venues and discos. He bought turntables in 2001, borrowed some records from colleagues and started practising. After a month, he decided to play house music exclusively on vinyl, since in those days all good house music was released on vinyl.
Just spinning the music wasn’t enough, so in 2003 he organised his first house party, as part of his birthday. The party was at the then »Lampa pub« on Polzela, and the response and atmosphere at the party was excellent. In the following years, he organised over 30 parties in various locations. The most notable series of parties was »Watch the Sunrise«, which in 16 performances from 2006 to 2008 was performed at the »LePlac« Cocktail Bar. Since 2015, he has co-organised the »zYpper secret location« series of parties trying to revive the vocal house scene in Slovenia.
He is one of the few Slovenian DJs who still plays house music on turntables. Podgy says: »If you have a record in your hand, you can feel the music and serve it to the audience.«
His main style is vocal house. The melodic is the most important to him in music, so he spins an extremely »full« house, but it doesn’t matter if it’s vocal, deep, tribal, pumpin ‘or disco. He also enjoys Latin-house, as he likes the South American temperament of the people and the sounds of classical instruments – piano, guitar, trumpet and saxophone, which are much featured in this music. He says his performance, technique and music give the audience the energy to dance long into the night.
From the underground house he mostly plays a deep, tech and progressive house. In underground house, the most important is bass line, which has to escalate through the set. Podgy has an extremely wide selection of house music so that he can adapts to the environment where he spins.
In recent years, the “old” disco and the more modern version of nu-disco attracts him mostly. Disco has taken over him because of the inclusion of many real instruments and rhythm. Of course, his main sub-genre throughout the 20 years of the soulful house.
In this set, he produced his favorite Soulful pieces that were released on vinyl over the last year. The set, however, was recorded from the heart directly from vinyl records exclusively for Soundwave radio listeners only.
- The Shapeshifters featuring Kimberly Davis – Life Is A Dancefloor (Reprise) /Glitterbox/
- Bobby D’ambrosio – Moment Of My Life Feat. Michelle Weeks (Joey Negro Closer To The Source Mix) /Z Records/
- Raquel Rodriguez – We Go Together (Joey Negro Club Mix) /Z Records/
- Simon Kennedy – Back To Soul /Tropical Disco Records/
- Martin Hayes – Easy Come Easy Go /RAZOR N TAPE/
- Mistura – Do You Love Me? Feat Angela Johnson (Joey Negro Disco Blend) /Z Records/
- Joey Negro – K – Jee (Philly World Mix) /Z Records/
- JKriv feat. Adeline – Vertigo (Original Club Mix) /Z Records/
- Martin Hayes – Love Shine /RAZOR N TAPE/
- Hugo Mari – Get Loose Ft. Zodiac /Heist Recordings/
- MooDena – Sartopisl /SAMOSA Records/
- Dangerous Dan, Nicky Night Time, Julian Mitchell – History Of Disco (Original) /Music To Dance To/
- Jasper St Co. – Anythins /Nervous USA/
- Fiorious – I’m Not Defeated (Honey Dijon’s Fiercely Furious Dub) /Glitterbox/